Have you ever felt you want to turn back time and meet the people you met yesterday, two weeks ago, three years ago? Or have you ever wondered by the time you are 24 years old, what would you be, what would you do, will all my plans go in the right time and place? That longing feeling, that anxiety feeling. Don't they make you insecure?
It was my 22nd birthday on 5th December 2013. There are two things I did, or just have done. First, I read Mitch Albom's The Time Keeper since a week before my birthday. Second, I went to Museum Taman Prasasti. Both can make me close to understanding about the most gracious yet perplexing thing for most people: time.
By gong to Museum Taman Prasasti, I saw many tombs there. Lots of words left to their love ones were written in the gravestones. Memory. It is always with us, the ones who are left by the dead. Memory is the thing which makes us want to be in the past moment again, selfishly leaving the present.
But Albom wrote something about it in his book. He wrote that we can't keep a moment forever because forever is not a gift. Besides, something will lost its meaning if you can keep it forever, won't it? "Not aging is not the same as living," Albom wrote. By getting older we are following the nature rule which makes me realise what the meaning of aging, of letting go, of meeting something new, of time itself. So, why am I still trapped in the past when I can live in this moment graciously and blessed? Just don't ask if I can turn back time. Ask if I can meet the persons in the past in different situation (or even maybe different feeling?) yet will make it a joyous moment.
And about the future. I keep asking what a friend of mine once asked: how soon is sooner and how late is later? Reading this book reminds me of something about time which being so perplexing for me these days. Albom said that nothing is too soon or too late. Then, why do I still worry about the future and crazy about something unknowingly yet to happen? Because everything is coming just in times. Just live in the moment. By writing that, I don't mean that you need not to plan anything. But by writing that, I mean that you have to give meaning in everything happens or everything you do at the time. Don't hurry, don't will to make it stop, don't wish for another yesterday. Then you can feel the joy of living. Even you can the precious moment as if it happens in the timeless universe. Then maybe that's why memory was written in text in the gravestones. So that people can remember and appreciate the past moments they've been trough, and then give meaning to every moment in the present and appreciate it.
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in their hearts, yet so that man can't find out the work that God has done from the beginning even to the end." Ecclesiastes 3:1
Yes, I will not understand the time, the plans which had been made for me though. But it's okay. I just need to have trust, right? Well, I am happy, feeling blessed like this :)
0 comments:
Post a Comment